The beginning

I have decided to build a boat. If you don't think that's mad enough I've chosen a pretty complex design and a difficult build method.

I am going to build a hybrid of two of Mr Richard Woods catamaran designes. They use the same 25' hulls but one is a folding cat with central cuddy cabin called Sango, the other is an open deck racer called Wizzer.

Links to the design pages:

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs-2/2-catamarans-under-25ft/159-wizzer

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/designs-2/2-catamarans-under-25ft/160-sango

Well worth a look.

Sango is a longer version of Wizard. Both are really masterpieces and in my opinion the best folding catamarans anywhere. The system is incredibly simple and adds very little complexity or cost to the build. Unfortunately it does rotate the hulls through 90 degrees which means plumbing can be problematic, particularly a marine head. A removable porta potti is easily accommodated.

So I want to build a demountable version. Harder to assemble and launch but it will be a better cruising boat once afloat.

Beyond the folding system the details of these boats are well sorted. Anyone can draw a hull but getting the details right so the boat trailers launches sails and accommodates the crew, that's the tricky bit. These are superb. The plans have excellent detail.

Well there isn't much to report yet. I have my plans in electronic form and organising to get them printed. I am viewing a second hand mast and boom tomorrow, I've been shopping for hardware but life is doing it's best to thwart my progress. I will post again once there is something to report.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiberglass foam and epoxy

A second hand mast and boom